Sep 1, 2012

Quick Fact: Hippocratic Oath (and Dr. Carm)


Hippocratic Oath [Dr. Carm Comments]


I do solemnly vow, to that which I value and hold most dear:
That I will honor the Profession of Medicine, be just and generous to its members, and help sustain them in their service to humanity;  
[If they are nice to Dr. Carm, Dr. Carm will be nice to them]
That just as I have learned from those who preceded me, so will I instruct those who follow me in the science and the art of medicine;
 [Hence, the blog, because Dr. Carm is just that smart!]
That I will recognize the limits of my knowledge and pursue lifelong learning to better care for the sick and to prevent illness;  
[Hmm, Dr. Carm learned everything already so it can be scratched off the list]
That I will seek the counsel of others when they are more expert so as to fulfill my obligation to those who are entrusted to my care;  
[Ha ha ha ha!!! Dr. Carm believes this is vice versa]
That I will not withdraw from my patients in their time of need; 
[Unless Dr. Carm is in the middle of a show or a good book or sleep or eating or daydreaming or....]
That I will lead my life and practice my art with integrity and honor, using my power wisely;
[Dr. Carm always uses her power wisely]
That whatsoever I shall see or hear of the lives of my patients that is not fitting to be spoken, I will keep in confidence;  
[Of course Dr. Carm cannot be bought....but she can be rented if the price is right!]
That into whatever house I shall enter, it shall be for the good of the sick;  
[Who makes house calls anymore??? That's what the Internet is for!]
That I will maintain this sacred trust, holding myself far aloof from wrong, from corrupting, from the tempting of others to vice;  
[Dr. Carm is always above the rest]
That above all else I will serve the highest interests of my patients through the practice of my science and my art;  
[Art? Does this mean Dr. Carm can draw funny mustaches on the patients with Sharpies while they are sleeping or in surgery?!?!?!]
That I will be an advocate for patients in need and strive for justice in the care of the sick. 
[Again, if they are nice to Dr. Carm, Dr. Carm will be nice to them]
I now turn to my calling, promising to preserve its finest traditions, with the reward of a long experience in the joy of healing.  
[Traditions? How do people feel about leeches? They do have their benefits though...]
I make this vow freely and upon my honor.
[If every doctor takes this oath, is it really freely? Hey! Dr. Carm is now a philosopher!]

5 comments:

  1. Har har! Oh Dr. Carm, my life has never been the same since entering your practice. :) Also, word verifications are evil. eeeeeviiiiilllllll

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I never get those things on the first try!!!
    However, Dr. Carm likes word verifications. I think it fits her personality. Complicated and evil--er--special :)

    PS. I wonder if anyone always gets the word verifications right on the first try....

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's in fact very difficult in this busy life to listen news on TV, therefore I only use internet for that purpose, and obtain the most recent news.
    My site :: Insomnia Symptoms

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant and funny post! :) Such an oath should always be placed in mind and in heart.

    ReplyDelete