Dec 12, 2012

The Best and the Worst Quick Facts of 2012

Based on pageviews:


The Least Viewed Quick Fact of 2012: Sports-Related Concussions


1.    The definition of concussion is vague and inconsistent among professionals
2.       Accurately speaking, it should be called brain injury—not concussion or head injury

3.       “Mild brain injury” is inaccurate. It’s “subtle brain injury.” Why? Because the effects of the brain injury can be difficult to recognize or observe to those outside the medical profession.

4.       Many injuries are unreported



5.       More medial training is needed. The research included a cited survey of 233 recently graduated chief residents found that approximately 68% reported being less than comfortable managing a concussion sustained by an athlete

6.       Neurocognitive and neuroimaging instrumentation and other evaluation techniques are not sensitive enough to a subtle brain injury.



7.       Athletes need more training in knowing the signs and symptoms of a brain-related injury

8.       Female athletes are more prone to brain injuries than male athletes (this is because they are more likely to seek medical treatment—hence more cases are reported)



9.       An athlete does not have to sustain a blow to the head for a brain injury

10.   It may or may not involve unconsciousness


11.   Prior brain injury has been linked to depression, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, and chronic traumatic encephalophy (CTE) [CTE is a degenerative disease that affects the brain and is believed to be caused by repeated head trauma…resulting in large accumulations of proteins that kill cells in regions responsible for mood, emotions, and executive functioning]

12.   Some children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder might actually be suffering from a traumatic brain injury



13.   Brain injury mimics many symptoms of drunkenness

14.   Individual treatments should be used for student-athletes with brain injuries




Brady, D., & Brady, F. (2011). Sport-related concussions: Myths and facts. Communique, 39(8), 32-33.

Original posting can be found here

The Best Quick Fact of 2012: Hippocratic Oath


Hippocratic Oath [Dr. Carm Comments]


I do solemnly vow, to that which I value and hold most dear:
That I will honor the Profession of Medicine, be just and generous to its members, and help sustain them in their service to humanity;  
[If they are nice to Dr. Carm, Dr. Carm will be nice to them]
That just as I have learned from those who preceded me, so will I instruct those who follow me in the science and the art of medicine;
 [Hence, the blog, because Dr. Carm is just that smart!]
That I will recognize the limits of my knowledge and pursue lifelong learning to better care for the sick and to prevent illness;  
[Hmm, Dr. Carm learned everything already so it can be scratched off the list]
That I will seek the counsel of others when they are more expert so as to fulfill my obligation to those who are entrusted to my care;  
[Ha ha ha ha!!! Dr. Carm believes this is vice versa]
That I will not withdraw from my patients in their time of need; 
[Unless Dr. Carm is in the middle of a show or a good book or sleep or eating or daydreaming or....]
That I will lead my life and practice my art with integrity and honor, using my power wisely;
[Dr. Carm always uses her power wisely]
That whatsoever I shall see or hear of the lives of my patients that is not fitting to be spoken, I will keep in confidence;  
[Of course Dr. Carm cannot be bought....but she can be rented if the price is right!]
That into whatever house I shall enter, it shall be for the good of the sick;  
[Who makes house calls anymore??? That's what the Internet is for!]
That I will maintain this sacred trust, holding myself far aloof from wrong, from corrupting, from the tempting of others to vice;  
[Dr. Carm is always above the rest]
That above all else I will serve the highest interests of my patients through the practice of my science and my art;  
[Art? Does this mean Dr. Carm can draw funny mustaches on the patients with Sharpies while they are sleeping or in surgery?!?!?!]
That I will be an advocate for patients in need and strive for justice in the care of the sick. 
[Again, if they are nice to Dr. Carm, Dr. Carm will be nice to them]
I now turn to my calling, promising to preserve its finest traditions, with the reward of a long experience in the joy of healing.  
[Traditions? How do people feel about leeches? They do have their benefits though...]
I make this vow freely and upon my honor.
[If every doctor takes this oath, is it really freely? Hey! Dr. Carm is now a philosopher!]


Original posting can be found here



Don't forget to like Dr. Carm on Facebook. You can view updates, funny sayings, and cartoons!

No comments:

Post a Comment